For Our Visitors
Welcome to Portage First United Methodist Church! We are a nurturing community where all people are invited to encounter Jesus Christ. Our only desire in our work together is that we grow in the love of God and the love of our neighbor. We believe that every person is worthy of dignity, respect, and acceptance. Our goal is to always exhibit radical hospitality, engage in passionate worship, dive into intentional faith development, participate in compassionate acts of charity and service, and become people of extravagant generosity. Our vision is to love God, love others, and offer Jesus!
We invite you to join us on a life journey of love and compassion. Should you have any questions about the church or about the Christian faith, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are glad you stopped by. All are welcome here and may God Bless you abundantly!
Fun Ways to Get Connected
- Brown Bag Bible Study – Wednesdays at 11:30 a.m. Bring a bag lunch with you and join in an exciting study of the Bible, faith, prayer, and other topics of Christian living. This study for adults is a wonderful time of fellowship and prayer. This fun group Is comprised of kind individuals with a diversity of thoughts and opinions. They are hospitable, welcoming, and always willing to make more room around the table!
- Basics Bible Study – Tuesdays at 11:30 a.m. This group is fellowship focused and dedicated to mutual support. Studying a variety of topics related to Christian living this group is more than willing to welcome you and together discover all that God has to offer.
- United Women of Faith – A community of women whose purpose is to know God, to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ, to develop a creative, supportive fellowship, and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church. The United Women of Faith meet on the third Saturday of the month at 8:30 a.m. (except July and August) for a light breakfast, followed by a business meeting and a program. To learn more, contact the church office.
- United Methodist Men – The United Methodist Men group exists to declare the centrality of Christ in man’s life. Men’s ministry leads to personal growth and discipleship. The purpose is served as men are called to model the servant leadership of Christ. All men of any age are invited to join us. The Portage UMM meetings are held on the first Saturday of the month except during the summer. The meetings start at 8 AM with breakfast and fellowship followed by a short business meeting followed by a Bible Study. This is great fellowship with friends and family. For more information, contact the church office.
- Super Seniors – A group of senior adults who gather for food, fun & fellowship on the second Thursday of every month at 12:00 PM. Often you will find them playing pinochle, Mahjong, or other card and board games. Open to all, regardless of denomination, this group spends most of their time laughing. To get involved with this raucous crew contact the church office.
- First Friday Fellowship – Reservations are necessary, but this group is open to all. On the first Friday of the month, a local restaurant location is chosen for dinner and fellowship. First Friday Fellowship is a wonderful way to meet new people in a comfortable social setting. Contact the church office for this month’s location, reservations are required to participate.
- Community Friendship Dinner – On the last Wednesday of every month beginning at 4:30 PM we are honored to host a free meal for the Portage Community. What began as an act of mercy during the COVID-19 pandemic, became an opportunity to gather people together. The meals are usually simple and delicious meals and follow a fun theme (winter’s night, disco night, talent show). Following the meal community members are invited to stay for entertainment and fun activities.
- Youth Group – Our Youth Group is a haven of fun and spirituality for grades 6-12. Our youth program hosts a social event and a Christian Discipleship event each month. Our youth are encouraged to ask questions and build a lifelong, inquisitive faith that is not afraid to deal with difficult issues or face hard questions. Please contact the church office for a youth calendar or more information.
- The Chancel Choir – Do you like to sing? We do! Every Thursday at 6:30 PM our Chancel Choir rehearses beautiful and fun choral pieces to be shared in our Sunday 9:00 worship service. The choir takes the summers off, but September through May offers abundant opportunities to make a joyful noise unto the Lord! (Psalm 100:1)
- Bell Choir – Our bell choir hosts three octaves of bells and three octaves of chimes. This means our affectionately named “ding-a-lings” have a tremendous capacity for making music. If you would like to participate, you may join our bell choir from September through May for rehearsal on Thursdays at 5:30 PM. Performances take place once a month during our Sunday Worship Services (9:00 & 11:15) and special holidays. Please join us for a ringing good time!
- PFHope Prison Ministry – Our Lord Jesus calls us to care for the imprisoned and do all we can to assist them in their rehabilitation and quest for a better life. It is for this reason that PFHope exists. A group of volunteers from our church go into the Westville Prison Facility for Bible Study and support of the residents. Church members also send letters of support to the prisoners and our pastor does their best to answer prisoner questions. If you would like to volunteer for this ministry, you are most welcome. Please be aware it does require an extensive background check through the State of Indiana.
- Community Rummage Sale – Twice a year in the Spring and Autumn Portage First UMC transforms into a thrifter’s dream! Donations of items are taken by our receiving center at the back of the church. During our twice-a-year rummage sale, every room in the church is filled with gently used merchandise that is sold to benefit local and international charities. If you are interested in volunteering or participating in the sale please contact the church office or see our rummage Facebook page for the most up-to-date information: Portage First UMC Rummage Sale
- Crossroads Ministry – Adjacent to the church building itself Portage FUMC owns and maintains a farm property we call Crossroads. Not only does our Crossroads property hold a farmhouse that is shared with Family Promise of Porter County as a homeless shelter for displaced families, but is also the site for communities such as bonfires, movies under the stars, haunted hayrides (October), and more. You are more than welcome to visit and walk our prayer path for prayerful reflection! This is a growing ministry, and we look forward to more opportunities for fun in the future!
Other Events – As a service to our community we offer the use of our church to several community events and services. We host TOPS weight loss group, Lifeline Health Screenings, Red Cross Blood Drives, and our fellowship hall is available for rental by anyone in our community for family events like reunions and baby showers.